TOO AND EITHER






Too:
  • Too usually goes in the end position in the affirmative (+)

    • Sally likes milk, and Tom does, too.

    • A : I’m hungry.
      B : I am too.

    • A: John speaks French
      B: I do, too


Either:
  • Either usually goes in the end position in negative sentences (-)

    • Ahmet can’t speak French, and Mehmet can’t, either

    • Sally doesn’t like swimming, and Tom doesn’t, either.

    • A : Have you done your physics homework?
      B : No. I haven’t done my maths homework either.

(Dikkat ettiğiniz gibi yukarıdaki cümlelerde "either" ve "too" kelimeleri "de/dahi" anlamında kullanılmışlardır.)



Examples:
  • Ahmet can’t speak French, and Sam can’t either.

  • A : I don’t like horror films.
    B : I don’t either.

  • I didn’t study English last night, and Mike didn’t either.

  • Jim likes to go to science fiction movies, and Laura does too.

  • A : I have a red car.
    B : I have too.

  • A : Marry isn’t married.
    B : Tom isn’t either.

Contrast:

If we have a contrast about the statement, we make sentences like these;

  • A: I have a blue car
    B: I haven't

  • A : I don’t like horror films.
    B : I do.

  • Angela can’t speak French, but Sam can.

  • Ahmet speaks Turkish, but Sally doesn't


EXERCISE 1:

Fill in the blanks with "either" or "too".

  • A : Did you go to school yesterday?
    B : No, I didn’t. I didn’t done my homework, either.
  • Mr. Jones is the best teacher in school, and Mrs. Jones is, too.
  1. A : I’ll study science at university.
    B : I’ll ..............

  2. Samsun is on the Black Sea coast, and Trabzon is .................

  3. A : I didn’t pass physics and chemistry last year.
    B : I didn’t ....................

  4. Mike won’t cook dinner tonight, and Erin won’t ..................

  5. Nilüfer is the most famous singer in Turkey, and Sezen Aksu is ...............


Answers

EXERCISE1
1. too
2. too
3. either
4. either
5. too


Anasayfa



kaynaklar:MEB